Royal Darwin Hospital
Major hospital with an emergency department
Tiwi, NT 0810
PO Box 41326
Casuarina NT 0811
Phone: (08) 8922 8888
Fax: (08) 8922 8286
The Royal Darwin Hospital (RDH) is a 360-bed public hospital that has a large range of services in all specialty areas. Royal Darwin Hospital is the largest hospital in the Northern Territory, and employs over 1500 people.
Royal Darwin Hospital's emergency department is open 24 hours. You do not need an appointment.
Making an appointment in the RDH outpatient department
You need a written referral from an authorised healthcare professional first to get an appointment at the hospital to see a specialist. You cannot make an appointment without this referral.
Once your referral has been reviewed by the specialist you will be offered a choice of times and dates for your appointment.
If you have a mobile phone, you will receive a text message two days before to remind you about your appointment.
If your appointment is non-urgent, you will be sent an appointment letter.
You should tell the hospital if your phone number or address changes.
Services at Royal Darwin Hospital
To contact the services listed below, call the switchboard on (08) 8922 8888.
- infectious diseases
- general medicine
- hyperbaric medicine
- respiratory medicine
- sleep studies
- pain management
- hospital in the home
- palliative medicine.
- ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgery
- oro-maxillo facial (OMF) surgery
- general surgery
- paediatric general surgery
- plastics surgery
Allied health services
- occupational therapy
- speech pathology
- social work
Clinical support services
- prosthetics and orthotics
- CT scan and MRI
- Aboriginal liaison
- radiology (including nuclear medicine)
- hospital chaplaincy
- interpreter services.
Maternal and child health
- reproductive medicine
- outreach specialist and allied health services to Palmerston Health Precinct, rural and remote regions and clinical and retrieval support to regional hospitals
- teaching and reference services for northern Australia and Southeast Asia, with rural and remote medical training placements
- pharmaceutical services for the hospital and surrounding community area
- 24 hour emergency and critical care and support for air medical service
- renal satellite services at Nightcliff, Palmerston and Tiwi.
Visiting Royal Darwin Hospital
The visiting hours for Royal Darwin Hospital (RDH) are every day from 11am to 1pm and 3pm to 8pm.
Parking at Royal Darwin Hospital
Parking at the hospital is free for four hours in the main patient and visitor car parks shown on the map below.
You will need to print a ticket and display it in your vehicle between 7am and 5pm.
You will need to move your vehicle to a general car park after four hours. If parking after 5pm you still need to print a ticket but have until 8.30am to move your car.
In other general free car parks, you do not need to print a ticket and display it in your vehicle.
You must park within marked bays and parking areas and follow the directions on signs.